While only a bracelet and necklace are shown here, there are many possibilities for walnut shell jewelry including hat decorations, buttons and pins.
- choose several nuts of usual shape
- scrub the shells clean with soap and water
- put the shells in a vice long ways to safely hold them for slicing
- use a fine-tooth saw to saw off slices/disks of the shell
- saw half-way through the shell, put a cardboard/poster board spacer in the slot to prevent binding or breaking
- turn the nut over and continue the cut
- Put the sections in a vise and drill holes 1/2″ apart to insert elastic or thread.
- smooth the faces of each piece with sandpaper
- polish the pieces with wax
- 6 or 7 similar-sized pieces.
- 2 – 1/8″ beads as spacers between the pieces.
- make the knots of the elastic within one of the shells so they can be hidden.
- you will need strong thread and a clasp
- use pieces of similar sizes or variations – your choice.
- see the picture for design ideas and bead suggestions
- use wood, clay, glass or stone beads.
Other items to make using similar methods:
- decorative belt
- a hot plate/trivet
- head band
- purse strap
- key chain decoration